January 3, 2009

unsociable

If I were someone else, I wouldn't invite me to a party. No, I take that back. I wouldn't invite Miles to a party. And that means not inviting me. Neither one of us. At least not for a while.
With the many holiday parties and family get-togethers in the last few weeks, I've slowly come to the conclusion that Miles and I are (together) extremely lame party guests. Don't get me wrong, Miles is (in my humble opinion) so very, very cute and quite well behaved. He laughs, smiles, eats party food, plays well with other children, etc. He does everything you would want a sweet little munchkin to do at a party. But, he has now reached that (hopefully brief) stage where he wants to walk. Everywhere. All of the time. However, he can't walk by himself yet, which means I am his right hand woman, literally. There to hold his hand whenever he wants to go. Which is ALWAYS. Which means I spend the entire time hunched over, trailing my little squirt around someone else's house, trying to make conversation in the brief moments when I'm not being held captive on the staircase by my son so that he can practice going up and down and up and down. I am living in isolation. Even though I'm there, at the party, trying to be social, I don't have enough brain power to focus on and meet the needs of my one year old while simultaneously discussing the state of our country's economy, or what changes need to be made to our health care system, or even what I made for dinner the other night.
So, I usually end up walking around with Miles, just the two of us, practically joined at the hip. It's just easier that way. We have our own conversations, mostly one-sided, as you can imagine. Sometimes we sit down by ourselves and play with toys while the adults are chatting in the other room. Sometimes we're joined by other kids and/or dogs. And then I really start to feel the burn, like I've traveled back in time to when I was eight years old and I'm sitting at the kiddie table again.
I hope this phase doesn't last too long.

2 comments:

Kasey Mikelle said...

Ha...one thing I've learned...appreciate every phase, however annoying or inconvenient. Because, the next moment you will be wishing for a rewind button. At least now Miles is attached to your hand and not off throwing all his toys in the bath tub or scavenging through all the kitchen utensils. Yes, Nev's favorite toys are now spatulas. Perhaps both he and Miles will want to be chefs?

meghant said...

This phase won't last long - but the next one will be equally challenging. That's what I've learned. I agree with Kasey - appreciate each phase for what it is....

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety