September 1, 2008

labor day update

Things have been happening around here, but we've managed to have a low-key holiday weekend, nonetheless.
My cousing Lauren arrived here on Thursday. She's working a temporary stint for NBC and is covering both the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, which is what brings her to the Twin Cities this week. She's staying with our family while she's here - it's been great catching up.

A couple of birthdays were in the mix this weekend. Happy (belated) birthday to Sara. And my little brother - Miles' uncle, mind you - turned 11 years old a few days ago. Happy birthday Alex! We had a great time at your birthday barbeque!

Today's holiday found us at Yasmin's house, enjoying grilled food and her infamous potato salad. David and all of his siblings were there together, which I don't think has happened in a while.

Turned out to be an evening of badminton, moped rides, babies, food and good company.

Juan taught his mom how to ride a moped. After a quick trip around the block she pulled in like a pro, honking the horn and everything

I had to capture this moment. Usually Miles cries when he sees his Uncle Juan. I'm not sure if he's afraid of his wild and freakish curly hair, or if he just doesn't spend enough time with Juan to be comfortable around him. But, today they shared a moment (or two), and here's the proof.

David's action shot - going for the birdie

I love this shot. The moment I saw Yasmin lift Miles onto this old BMW, I grabbed the camera. I had in my mind an old yellowed photo that I found in David's baby book , but have since misplaced. The photo was of David, when he was just about this age, sitting on top of an old (parked) motorcycle with Yasmin supporting him. If I had to place a bet, I think Miles would be the spitting image of his papa in that photo. Now, if I could only find it...

Yes, the picture is right side up. Papa and boy are messing with gravity again...

Looking forward to the rest of this week. My mom will be in town house hunting, Lauren will be able to spend some more time with us and I am only working two half days this week. My office building is blocks from the RNC location in downtown St. Paul and we're anticipating it to be a major inconvenience to get in and out of parking ramps and our building. Time off means means more time with the family! Happy end of summer!

2 comments:

Shy said...

It is amazing!!! How big, handsome and cute this little guy is!! Meredith, I really enjoy looking at your updates from time to time, it makes me feel I'm not missing that much (but reality reminds me that I am). Love you all, and always thinking about you,
Shayra

Meredith said...

Hi Shayra! Thanks for visiting the blog. We miss and love you too! Can't wait to see you again - hopefully in the not so distant future.

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety