This seems like a good time for an update on Miles. I'll give you the skinny on two things that seem to be important (to him and to us) right now: movement and interaction.
Movement.
Miles is still not crawling. But as I make that statement this time, I'm not worried, not anxious. I know now that he's got his own timeline and he'll do things when he's good and ready. The fact that we've received assurances from two doctors that he is just fine has also helped alleviate any doubts. Miles was referred to a pediatric orthopedic specialist just to check things out with this legs/joints, to be on the safe side. Structurally, he's fine (good bones). In fact, the orthopedist said that we should just forget about the crawling thing altogether (at least not think about it as a developmental next step). If he never crawls, that is just fine. I guess it's not used as a developmental milestone anymore in the medical world. I've read about this, but it helped to hear from someone with a lot of experience caring for babies. And she mentioned that the normal age range for walking goes all the way up to 18 months.
So, what is he doing? Well, he's scooting around on his belly, turning around in circles, pushing backward so that he can move from his room, through the hallway, to the bathroom, just on his belly. I suspect he'll be up on all fours soon, since he's really close to doing that now.
Interaction.
This little guy definitely know who his Mami and Papi are. He has been so expressive lately, really interacting with both David and I. David will lean in to kiss him and Miles will go to kiss David's nose (with a mouth wide open). He reaches for us, looks for us, stares at our mouths when we talk to him, starts laughing games right before bedtime (has he learned this quickly that his mama is a sucker for his giggling, and that bedtime can effectively be delayed by the laughing game?), reaches for everything, lets us know when he doesn't appreciate having his toys taken away from him, sings when I sing, loves to be "danced" across the kitchen, loves to be tickled, the list goes on...It seems like his personality is really starting to show.
4 comments:
10 month olds are the greatest! (This statement will surely change as our babies get older and older) I love how their personalities just come out. Miles sounds so cute I hope I can meet him one day!!(and you!)
Such a great age. Glad to see you're not stressed about the movement thing. I actually have a friend whose daughter never crawled. She did the scooting thing like you describe, and eventually started walking holding her mom's fingers. She did this for months...and then finally started walking on her own. Every child is different. Enjoy the laughing time....it's a much better delaying tactic than some of the ones they come up with as they get older!
Hi Meredith! It'll all fall into place. But motherhood just wouldn't be the same without the worrying...
What a doll-baby! Sounds like he's doing great.
Love those slobbery, open-mouthed kisses!
Post a Comment