November 19, 2008

one year

one year of...

learning to listen

watching you grow

giving all of myself to you

hearing your cries of pain and joy

doubting myself

being in constant motion

softening at the sight of your smile and the sound of your laugh

finding balance

discovering myself in you

inhaling your sweet baby scent

moving between euphoria and desolation

trying to be present in the moment

singing, and singing, and singing

dancing with my own demons

redefining expectations

fighting the tendency to go on autopilot

knowing you by heart

finding myself in your company during the dark hours of the night

dreaming of your future

creating memories

knowing that, for you, I would do it all a thousand times over

one year to realize that I couldn't possibly describe all the ways that I love you
Happy birthday, Miles!

4 comments:

wesleyjeanne said...

beautiful.
Happy birthday, little one.
And happy day to mommy...who did all the work a year ago (and much of it since).

meghant said...

Beautiful. Happy Birthday Miles.

gwen said...

What a wonderful poem for a growing up Miles to ready about his one year anniversary. He will appreciate it especially when he has children of his own. However, I don't want to think about that because I will be ready to move onto the next world then . . . . on second thought, maybe that won't be such a bad experience.
(smile)

The 'V' Family said...

Happy Birthday little man! You have been a wonderful mother and have a beautiful son! Congrats to you and David!

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety