August 3, 2009

on the horizon

IMG_0506

IMG_0507

IMG_0520

We have about one full month left of summer and I find that my thoughts have already started to turn toward the coming "year" (I still think along the lines of the school year calendar). Perhaps this is because things are shaping up to be quite busy, and I'm expecting our time to feel very full - in the greatest of ways. Here are a few of the projects we'll be working on over the next several months:
  • I'm working on a couple of writing projects right now. One will be a self-published photography book about (who else?) Miles. I'm putting the finishing touches on it now and hope to have it available by Fall, just in time to weave it into some birthday celebration plans.
  • The other project is also of the book-writing variety, but it is beyond the scope of creating a family memory book. It will be a creative endeavor I hope to share on a larger scale, although its roots are firmly planted in the history and experiences of our family. I don't want to say much more than that, but hope to be able to share more details with you soon.
  • Things are moving along at work. I was accepted into a leadership program for state employees and will be participating in monthly career and personal development trainings September through March.
  • And the most immediate project we've got our hands in is...(oh goodness, I'm so excited about this one) finishing the upper level of our 1 and 1/2 story house. Ack! Do you know what this means?! It means so much when you live in a tiny urban house with currently no more than 1200 square feet. It means we'll have a guest bedroom and playroom for Miles. It means we'll have skylights and built-in knee wall dressers. It means we'll have a space to create, a place to play and just do whatever. Ahh, the joy of it. I'm dizzy just thinking about it. Anyway a big ol' thanks to the family members who are making this possible - my mom and David's brother, Jose, - and for their own unique contributions that have made this thing come together. Work starts within the next couple of weeks and all should be finished long before the weather turns cool. I know the space doesn't look like much in these photos, but it will be wonderful. Oh yes it will. Stay tuned.
  • IMG_0550

IMG_0554

3 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations on everything! Your attic looks very much like the upper level of the house I grew up in (also smaller and urban) and my parents converted the space into two bedrooms and a 1/2 bath. Was a perfect use of the space with little ones--Miles will love it--and so will you.

gwen said...

Great "before" photos, Merdi. I can't wait to see the "after" ones. And, I notice your wood is all old growth, as I just learned from my carpenter these old houses used this type of wood, compared to the newer (read inferior) growth wood used today. Here's to urban houses!

Mom

gwen said...

PS: In reading your list of current endeavors, I believe your German is showing. Not a bad trait, especially when getting things done. Good luck with all your projects!

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety