August 15, 2009

i'm sure this has happened to every parent

IMG_0674

IMG_0679

When a was young, my mom brought me to the grocery store with her every week. I loved/hated those trips, depending on the day, my mood, and whether or not I was given candy as a post-shopping reward. I remember that on at least two occasions, I got lost in the grocery store, separated from my mom, left wandering the aisles panicky and afraid. Both times I found my mom by going to the customer service desk where they paged her over the intercom. For most of you who know me, you know that I don't like to be lost, I don't like the unexpected, and I don't like to swing by the seat of my pants. So, basically, finding myself experiencing all three left me temporarily traumatized. (Sorry mom. Good news...I'm fine now). Maybe you know where I'm going with this...

Today, Miles and I went to one of our local toy stores. I wanted to pick up some art supplies and a couple of small toys for him. This is the kind of toy store that has actual tables and toys set up for kids to play with while their parents shop. Miles was busy with a table-top race car track while I asked someone of they had any easels. The woman who worked there led me to the art section, which was out of sight of my child, and then proceeded to give me the lowdown on each easel that they carried. I interrupted her by saying that I had to check on my son, and sure enough, when I went back he was gone. The store isn't that big and the people that work there are all very friendly, but for the first time I had "lost" my child in a public setting, and all of I sudden I panicked, thinking that maybe Miles was feeling just as afraid as I once had as a little girl lost in the grocery store. I raced through the store looking for him. Finally, I asked another staff person if she had seen a little boy. Oh yes, he's up by the front door playing with some toys, but he's on the move, and he's fast. Yeah, tell me about it.

I've always been one of those people that laughs when I see parents using a child safety harness. You know, the kind that looks like a stuffed animal/backpack/dog-leash? But now? Now I understand why one might actually consider using it. I still vow never to add that to my own parenting arsenal, but maybe now I won't be so quick to judge those who do use them.

3 comments:

meghant said...

I got anxious just reading this. Not having my kids in sight makes my heart leap. I can't handle it. I'm sorry you went through that just knowing that feeling of panic you must have had. I'm with you on the whole harness thing. I understand it, but just can't imagine myself ever really using it.

Jen said...

Oh how scary! I'm glad that you found him quickly and that he was OK and not scared himself.

I registered for the monkey harness. I thought they were adorable and it's sitting in the closet unused since Austin can't even walk. It is so crowded here I see kids with them all the time.

Meredith said...

Yeah, I see a lot of people using them here, too. Especially in crowded places, like the Mall of America, which I don't even attempt without a stroller to keep Miles contained.

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety