May 22, 2009

urban camping

I am an urban-dweller through and through. I like the sights and sounds of people milling about near busy city intersections. I don't like hearing the sounds of loud and obnoxious people half a mile away on a state park hiking trail. I like knowing that wherever I am in the city, I can find my way home quickly by car, bus, bike or ped. I don't like knowing that in the country I am dependent on a car to go long distances. I like sleeping in my own warm, clean, soft bed. I don't like sleeping on the hard ground with only a few layers of plastic and nylon separating me from dirt and bugs. Needless to say, I'm not big on tent camping out in the wilderness. But that doesn't mean I want to keep Miles from experiencing the outdoors. I used to camp all the time with my family when I was younger. David and I have even gone once or twice in the past several years. So, we decided to pull out the camping equipment and have a little urban camping fun in our own backyard. Just for the evening. Just until we all decided we wanted to head back inside to sleep in our comfy beds. Miles enjoyed the adventure, especially when his papa transformed himself into the sleeping-bag-creature.

3 comments:

Kasey Mikelle said...

I had no idea your were such an 'urbanite'....Even better, put the tent in your living room! I'm counting the days till I get to meet your sweet lil' man!

Marissa said...

I'd much rather be in my own comfy bed too- but setting up a tent in the backyard is fun stuff!

Mason said...

The sleeping bag thing reminds me of a scene from King Kong.

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety