Let me just say this first: I am really liking Miles' new child care situation. The school is unique, the environment itself is beautiful. His teachers are calm, patient and kind. Everyone who works there knows who I am, and who my child is, even if they don't work directly with us as a family. Their focus on art, the Reggio approach, is so appealing to me as a parent. There is a sense of community among teachers and parents, even for the littlest ones.
Miles really enjoys his days there. It took a good month or so of adjustment. Yes, there were heart-wrenching, tear-filled separations. But now at drop-off he smiles, turns, waves good-bye to me and heads off to play with friends and/or teachers. He is more independent. He has learned new skills. He is more sociable. He smiles a lot. Subtle changes, ones that probably are a result of his natural development, but I tend to believe that his new environment has played a role as well.
Having said all of that, there has been a downside to having Miles attend a large child care center/school. For the past two months straight, not a day has gone by where one (or both) of us hasn't been sick. Currently, the tally stands at 2 (or maybe 3) ear infections (Miles), 4 colds for each of us, 1 gastrointestinal nightmare (both of us), and 1 bout of pink eye (Miles). I've practically run out of sick time at work and Miles is learning to function in life with a perpetually runny nose. During the last visit to the doctor - um, two days ago - I pleaded with her to tell me that this would all end. That the sickness would go away and we would return to our snot-free days. No such luck. She said this was typical for families with young kids in daycare and to expect two rough winters filled with a lot of germ-sharing and illness. Two. That means at least one more year of daily temperature-taking and buying boxes of kleenex to put in every room of the house. Oh, goodness. I hope I can make it that long. But after two years, I expect he'll be immune to everything. The doctor also mentioned that if Miles wasn't in daycare right now, we would go through a similar experience when he starts school. It happens to almost every child. Pick your poison, now or later. I think she was trying to make me feel better, but it didn't really work.
The positives of starting Miles at this child care center definitely outweigh the negatives. Still, I've started affectionately referring to his school as the petri dish. Why didn't anyone tell me that kids are so germy?And because I didn't want to end this post with my whining and carrying-on, here are a few completely unrelated photos that bring me joy:

3 comments:
So not fun!! But I guess I would choose now rather than later. Get it over with... LOVE the pics!
For those who are NOT in the know, the first photo is of Miles' cousin Keaira, who I know will follow in the steps of her cheerleader mother. She is playing with two pompoms from the U of MN, yes the Golden Gophers!
I know what you are going through Meredith. Since Kimberly has been in daycare she has had two double ear infections, countless runny noses, and 2 other minor illnesses. I on the other had have had two colds, pneumonia, and a stomach virus. George and I keep telling ourselves that at least she will not be sick once she starts school. Also, like you said, she is getting good social skills with the other kids in her "class". If you need to vent don't hesitate to drop me a line or something. It does get better. Miles is getting so big and adorable!
Post a Comment