November 20, 2010

happy birthday, miles!

Dearest Miles,

Today you are three years old. I started writing a long, very wordy birthday letter to you, but then realized that what I'd really like to say to you today, my sweet boy, is this:

  • You have, so far, been my greatest teacher - thank you. So many of my strengths and weaknesses have become crystal clear to me through the process of parenting you. You make me want to always try to do better, to be more engaged and more present in the moment. Hopefully, you'll benefit from all of this growing and learning that we're doing together.
  • I need to remember that even though you are a growing-up boy, you are still so young and need a lot from your mom and dad. I look at you now as a big brother and my expectations of you have shifted slightly. I promise to try very hard to meet you where you are and not get frustrated if (heaven forbid) you act like a three year old.
  • And finally, you are loved beyond measure. You light up my life. As you say "You like me mommy". Yes, baby boy, I like you. In fact, I love you very, very much. Happy birthday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy (late) third birthday little bud. May you stay forever young.

Marissa said...

Happy Birthday Miles!! It doesn't seem so long ago that you and Joselyn were both still brand new! Good luck with the third year~

About Me

Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?

FELIX

FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety