I've noticed lately that Miles is starting to engage in some pretend play with us. In my opinion, this is one of the best things about little kids, the endless possibilities of their imagination, the amazingly creative and fun stories and games that they come up with, and the fact that this gives you, the super-serious-all-responsible-adult, a chance to let loose and be as silly as you want to be. Today we played "cafe Miles" in the bathtub. Miles is keenly aware of the fact that both his mama and daddy make it a priority to brew, serve, and drink coffee in the morning. The word "coffee" has been in his vocabulary for quite some time. Tonight, he started pouring his bathwater into a small cup and saying, "mommy's coffee". After giving me the cup I asked "should mommy drink the coffee?" "yep" said Miles. "May I have the coffee with sugar and cream, please?" I asked. "Yep, coffee with sugar and cream, stir it up" he said, followed by a "please". "Please", I said, and then "thank you". "Yep" he replied. This went on for a good 5 - 10 minutes of him serving me coffee and me pretending to drink my java (soapy bathwater). Just one of the cute examples of how he is starting to use his imagination.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Meredith
- Stubborn, opinionated, academic girl meets athletic, charming, Puerto Rican boy while studying abroad in Santiago de Chile. Falling in love in a foreign country ensues. Travel, study, marry, settle, make a baby. Enter Miles Gabriel. Life with a toddler keeps us busy. We decide to add more chaos to the mix. Another baby is born. Enter Lydia Wynne. Lucky acorns. I have two and I keep them close to my heart. How about you?
FELIX
Our other "baby" of the canine variety
6 comments:
Enjoy it! Pretend play is THE BEST! I said if the boys got nothing but things that encourage pretend play as gifts (no more plastic) I'd be happy. You should find him a cape. All boys needs a cape - they are so much fun.
Thanks, Meghan! I had thought about getting a cape, but wasn't sure. You convinced me...
It seems like the toys that spark imaginitive play hold kids' interest longer...I agree about the useless pile o' plastic...
Adorable. I can't wait for those moments with Kimberly.
Yay Miles!
Nev has a cape, but hasn't quite reached the stage to enjoy it.
Last night he made us 'dinner in his pocket' He fed Dallas and I a yummy meal of carrots and broccoli.
Although I love the pretend play too, Nev has taken it to a new level. The other day he claimed there was a man in my closet - freaked me out!
Have fun with this stage, it makes up for a few of those dirty diapers and tantrums in the checkout line ;)
Oh, I dunno, it seems like along with the fun make-believe stuff comes even more tantrums. His are getting worse every day...I'm just happy he started out as a pretty mellow child to begin with...
I love the imaginative stage. I love watching them make that step into being able to pretend.
As for the tantrums, I think that also comes with being more independent and developing new skills. It's so hard when you're growing and developing and have new abilities at such a rapid pace so that one day you can't do something and the next day you can do that thing but not this other thing. Of course knowing that doesn't make the tantrums any easier on Mom, but understanding kind of helps me handle it better (on my better days).
Post a Comment